Wednesday 7 October 2009

The Weather Guessing Game

Autumn is upon us once again and it's getting colder and darker in the mornings. I do love this time of year though, as it means that sunrise is now at a more respectable time. Now that's not to say that dragging myself out of bed on a cold dark Sunday morning at 5.30am is any easier, especially while everyone else is tucked up warm and snug in their beds! I'm always half tempted to bounce the alarm off the wall and turn back over, but I know that I'll hate myself later if I miss that beautiful pre-dawn light that I'm hedging my bets on will show itself.



It doesn't always work out like that though. You check the weather forecasts the day before and it looks promising, you check again at night and it still looks ok, you then wake up up at an ungodly hour and look out the window to see nothing but a blanket of low level cloud. How could the weather forecaster get it so wrong? or is this blanket of light choking cloud localised to my area? Do I risk an hour's drive to the coast only to find the same cloud cover there? It's the dilemma of every landscape photographer wishing to catch that fleeting beautiful light that welcomes the new day.



It's always a risk, as the light is never guaranteed anyway even if there is no low thick cloud cover. The best you can do is make an educated guess. Get it right and you have the potential to get some fabulous shots, get it wrong and you simply go home and have a nice big breakfast waiting for everybody else when they get up!

No comments: